INTESTUM

Medpet product launch…

Registration number V20494 of Act 36/1947

Medpet would like to introduce you to Intestum, the latest addition to our very successful range of Avian Products.

 WHAT IS INTESTUM?
Intestum is a synbiotic, which means it contains both a pro-biotic and a pre-biotic, which work in synergy, in a single product.  It is made up of the following: Avian strain Beneficial Bacteris, Inulin, Calcium, Magnesium, DL-Methionine and Beta 1.3 Glucan.  Pre-biotics and pro-biotics serve the function of boosting the “good guys” - the beneficial bacteria in the large and small intestines respectively, of animals and people.  Many products have traditionally focussed on the pro-biotic element only.  In people at least, some laboratory tests have suggested that pre-biotics can be far more successful at boosting the “good guys”, than the traditionally used pro-biotics.  (An example of a natural pro-biotic used by people is yoghurt.)   Hence, for better effect, Medpet has launched this product containing both aspects.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
The bacteria and other micro-organisms that normally inhabit a bodily organ or part are known as “flora”. The Beneficial Bacteria found in the gastro-intestinal tract are part of this flora, and they are considered to be the engine of digestion.  Furthermore, bacteria in the intestines manufacture vitamin K and some B vitamins - essential for proper health.  In basic terms, a pro-biotic tries to “plant” new (additional) good bacteria into the system, whereas a pre-biotic feeds and encourages existing good bacteria so that they strengthen and multiply.

INULIN
Inulin is actually a carbohydrate found in certain plants.  It occurs in large quantities in the Chicory root, which is the source of Inulin used in Intestum.  It is made up of many Fructose Chains (3 – 60 in length) and terminates in one Glucose molecule.  Because of this, it penetrates deep into the intestine where Inulin breaks down into pre-biotic molecules (Oligofructose) which feeds the friendly flora, known as Bifidobacterium which in turn inhibits the growth of Pathogenic bacteria (the “bad guys”), giving the bird a healthy gastrointestinal system.

CALCIUM
Calcium is the most abundant mineral found in the body and has several important functions.   More than 99% of total calcium is stored in the bones, where its function is to support their structure.  The remaining 1% is found throughout the body in blood, muscle and fluid between the cells. 

MAGNESIUM
Magnesium is a mineral used in building bones, manufacturing proteins, releasing energy from muscle storage and regulating body temperature.

DL-METHIONINE
DL-Methionine is one of the key essential Amino-Acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and can be split into essential or non-essential.  The body itself can produce the non-essential amino acids, but the essential amino acids are only acquired through diet (or supplementation).  There are only two Sulphur-containing amino acids that provide sulphur to the body: methionine and cystine.   Methionine can be converted into cystine, and this is the reason why it is the one that is used as a supplement.

BETA 1-3 GLUCAN
An immune system stimulant.  The mode of action of this material is stimulating the immune system.  There are specific receptors for Beta 1-3 Glucan on the surface of certain cells called Macrophages that when activated, stimulate a cascade of events turning the body into an arsenal of defense against Bacterial and Viral infections.

USAGE AND BENEFITS
Intestum can certainly be used for routine health and maintenance, but in addition, we would recommend using it in the following specific circumstances and ways:

  1. When birds are being, or have been, dosed with antibiotics.

  2. When birds are stressed.

  3. For birds that are, or were, suffering from diarrhea.

  4. To improve the health of young birds.  In this instance we would recommend Intestum to be given to the adult hens 2 days before hatching, and for 5 continuous days once the young birds have hatched.  On hatching, the crop of a young bird is sterile, giving you the chance to load the gastro-intestinal system with good intestinal flora before the bad guys get a chance to colonise.  This can be done via a healthy weaning hen.  With the digestive system working to a maximum, healthy young birds are sure to follow, especially with the added Inulin giving better Calcium absorption to nutrients. 

...What better start could you possibly give?

 
<<< BACK